Hanz and Calleigh's World

Hanz and Calleigh's World

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pabasa or Pasyon

According to this link - The pasyon is a verse narrative about the life and suffering of Jesus Christ. The verses are structured in five-line stanzas, with each line containing eight syllables. The pasyon is commonly sung during Holy Week, starting Holy Monday. The reading of the pasyon is a traditional religious practice in the Philippines and people gather around the reader of the pasyon to listen and reflect. It is seen by many of its practitioners as a vow or panata

The tradition of chanting the pasyon is not rooted to the Spanish language that the songs were originally written in. but is connected to the singing of epics during cultural celebrations among indigenous Filipinos. The pasyon is usually chanted a capella though occasionally the chanters may be accompanied by guitars.

 ooops, di kami kumakanta, nagbabasa lang

My dad's family do this "Pabasa" every March 19 (Feast of St. Joseph) in preparation for the Holy Week. I first heard of it when I was 2 months old and I was just sleeping the whole time. Heehee! ^^ The Pabasa starts at 5 am and usually ends at 7pm. After singing the entire book (213 pages - Ang haba!!!) they will all pray the rosary. Anyway, I'll be sharing  some of our photos...

They hire singers too. ^^ para meron kapalit pag tired na sila. heehee!

Wanna hear them sing? here's a video. 

oh sorry, can't get rid of my Elmo.
this is my Papa J and Mama Onding
Papa J,  Mama Onding, Mama C and my other lolas. ^^
This is me again, starting to get sleepy... sshhhhh!


No comments: